We are proud of the success of our students in the Arts and celebrate the dedication, talent, and hard work exhibited under the guidance of devoted faculty and family.
The annual Prism Concert is a celebration of the Arts at DWS and a highlight of the year. This event held each Spring showcases the artistic works and talents of our students. The concert exhibits many forms of expression including voice, instrumental, and theatrical performances, as well as a vibrant visual exhibition representing all age levels.
We are thankful to the Albany Museum of Art for allowing us to use their facilities to showcase the dedication and talents of our students.
- The One Act Play won first place in State competition in fall 2012.
- The DWS Literary Team took overall 3rd place at State in 2012 – and overall first place in Region 3AAA for the 15th time in the last 16 years.
- DWS students took 1st place at State in 2012 in personal essay, dramatic oral interpretation, and humorous oral interpretation.
- Band members were invited to participate in the GMEA All-Select and All-Region Honor Bands.
- Four members of the DWS Chorus participated in the GISA All-Select Honor Chorus.
- The Albany Historic Preservation Commission established an art contest 3 years ago to draw attention to the historic buildings in our area. A DWS student has won this art contest for the last two years.
- A DWS student consistently places in the annual Sanford Bishop Congressional Art Competition. In 2011, a DWS junior won 3rd place.
- A DWS freshman was a finalist in the national NASCO art competition.
- Several DWS students were recognized in their grade level during the 2011 Kiwanis Art Competition including a junior who won 1st place locally and 3rd place in the State competition, a sophomore won 3rd place, freshmen won 1st and 2nd place, and a 6th grader came in 2nd place.