Marie Knight, K5
- How long have you been in education? I have been teaching for 34 years with 23 of those years at DWS. I started as a 1st grade teacher and then moved to kindergarten. I have served as a lead teacher and on various committees. I have a BSEd degree from University of Georgia and a MSEd from Georgia Southwestern University, both in Early Childhood Education
- What's your history with DWS? I am a mother to three DWS alums and have served as a volunteer and a teacher. I have been involved with activities with the Key Club, Booster Club, Parents Association, Literary, and the Thespian Society. For over 16 years my husband and I have enjoyed working with spring musical assisting with set design, props and backstage.
- Why I became a teacher? I cannot think of a time when I didn't want to be a teacher. My father passed away when I was a young child and my Mother, who was very strong in character, had already put my three brothers through college. Money was limited so the family decided it was best for me to get a two year degree locally in a healthcare related field. I hated it! I dropped all of my classes and told my Mother, "I wanted to be a teacher and go to UGA." She said, "And that is what you will do."
- What's the best part of being a DWS Knight? The best part of DWS is the many friendships that I have made with coworkers and parents. Our friendships last through the years and the Deerfield- Windsor community is always there for each other through the good times and the bad.
- What is your philosophy on education? I believe in teaching the whole child.....academically, emotionally and socially and to have fun while teaching. A kindergartener should love coming to school. This is most important to me! We sing, we dance, we paint, we read, we add and subtract, and we laugh. We laugh and smile a lot. Kindergarten is the best!